Sunday, May 13, 2012

Piglets all around!


Well I've been in Iowa for five days and two words can sum up the experience so far: eventful and unreal! I have experienced a variety of things including being crammed in a 1993 Buick Roadmaster (a car I didn't even know existed), learning that Dr. HN drinks at least 10 cups of coffee a day, listening to Mr. Kelvin Leibold tell us a hundred reasons commodity farming is the best, seeing adorable baby pigs feeding off their mommas, and hearing all about how I should probably start eating a healthier diet before I develop numerous diseases. All of the information I have taken in the past few days has been a variety of old and new information, but nonetheless it has been quite an experience.
When we walked out the first morning to leave for Des Moines, Iowa, I was not expecting to see a very large, older, and uncommon Buick car. After getting in, and being forced to sit very closely together I will say I feel like I have gotten to know everyone better. Although, I was very unsure at first about our transportation, it has really added to the "Iowan experience". Everywhere we have gone someone has either looked at us funny or commented about our ride One of my most favorable remarks we have received is "You guys are driving a boat anchor around!"  Below is the picture of this car that has carried us well over 550 miles so far.


My favorite part of the trip so far has been seeing adorable baby pigs suck off their mothers. When I was little I always wanted a baby piglet, but that was one animal I never got. I was amazed to see twelve little piglets run from sow to sow with no thought in the world but MILK! They did not seem to care whether they got milk from their mom or another sow. I loved them so much I took a video, so you have a first hand glimpse of their cuteness!




After listening to Nicolette Niman speak and watching Forks Over Knives, I have become intrigued by my own diet and how it should become healthier and more well rounded. Ms. Niman seemed to criticize high grain intakes and sweeteners while Forks Over Knives encouraged one to become a Vegan. Of course I have no interest in getting rid of sweeteners since I am a true southerner and love sweet tea, but at the same time I do not want to end up with high blood sugar, high blood pressure, and possibly cancer from simply indulging in the foods I love.
As I continue this three week journey, I am excited to learn how to artificially inseminate sows, learn more about corporate farming, and get a glimpse of organic farming. I also am beyond thrilled to get to ride in the tractor while they plant soybeans, because come on, how else can you truly understand farming without a hands-on tractor riding experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment