Sunday, May 27, 2012

Things I've Learned About Iowa

"Iowa (Traveling III)" by Dar Williams has always been one of my favorite songs, from the first time I heard it. Though it's not all about traveling in Iowa, her haunting way of melodically moving through the chorus has been in the back of my mind pretty much ever since I got accepted into this trip.

I tried to keep my mind relatively clear of expectations before I embarked upon my three-week journey, and especially as much of our schedule was not confirmed until the last minute, it's seemed, this was relatively easy to do.

We still have a few days of learning left, but we are nearing the end of our journey. Wednesday, everything will be over, and I will head back very temporarily to West Virginia before moving on to the next phase of my life as a Teach for America corps member.

I'm not one to generalize, but I have made the following conclusions about the people and places we've seen over the last 2 1/2 weeks:

1. Iowa is flat, but not as flat as you may think. Depending on where you are in the state, you might see flat plains for miles or even gently rolling hills. It's sure not West Virginia, but it is pretty.
2. People tend to speak with a slight accent that I may only describe as "Iowan," pronouncing words like drought and roots as "drowth" and "rutz."
3. Iowans like to tell their stories.
4. Stop signs are optional. Gravel roads are common. It gets very dusty when it's dry.
5. Iowa is WINDY, especially in the afternoons and in certain regions.
6. Iowa is the #1 producer of corn, soybeans, pork, and eggs. They are in the top 10 in cattle production.

I've learned much more than the above, mostly about agriculture, food, and production. However, this list of 5 is what I will take away from Iowa as a traveler.

No comments:

Post a Comment